Dear Rutherford
I am not pleased to inform you that our dear friend Allan is deceased, he was exploded by a mortar, at least his death was a very quick one, please give his family my deepest condolences. On a higher note I, myself am alive and in decent condition, right now i am writing to you from a muddy corner in a trench but by the time you receive this letter I may be dead. Lately life has been very difficult and frightening although at times, exciting. Earlier today our trench was suddenly bombarded by bombs shot from enemy troops across 'no mans land'. I was having a bowl of lukewarm soup when suddenly an explosion occurred about 20 meters away from me, sending bits of mud and materials from the trench walls into my soup. A while back I had been at The Battle of Cambrai, in France. Our objective was to capture the area and damage The Germans supply line, The use of tanks had been employed this time, massive machines with a traumatic effect, I wouldn't have any idea what to do if I had been faced with a tank, luckily I was with one. However many of the soldiers including myself had been ordered to follow behind the tanks and use them as cover, I was terribly frightened, bullets were bouncing off the tank left and right and one of the soldiers with me was even killed but eventually we pushed through and it was silent. On a high note, I am doing just fine along with most of my companion troops, besides a bullet graze on my shoulder which has healed up quite nicely. Send my greetings towards James and Martha and inform them of my arrival which hopefully will be soon.
Your jolly dear mate, Rupert
No comments:
Post a Comment